Our recommended process for offboarding users is as follows:
In Exchange Online
- Navigate to https://outlook.office365.com/ecp and log in with global admin credentials.
- Click on ‘recipients’ on the left navigation and ‘mailboxes’ on the top navigation.
- Find the mailbox to offboard and select it.
- On the right side under ‘Convert to Shared Mailbox’ click ‘Convert’
- This will convert the mailbox to a shared mailbox.
- Once the above is completed any licenses can be removed from the user and returned to the license pool.
- The user that’s associated with the mailbox must remain in Office 365 in order to prevent the shared mailbox from being deleted.
In AD on-premises:
- Keep the user in a syncing OU and disable it
- This will block the user from being able to sign in
If you have questions regarding this process please reach out to O365Admins@tangent.com .